After having a stray cat at our house all day, we decided to go to the Animal Shelter. Let me set the stage here; Wes has been asking for a pet for a long time now and Brooke absolutely adores animals, all animals big or small. So far we haven't convinced Dave to get a pet. For a while I have been wanting either a dog or a house alarm for when he is working nights.
So today Wes came home from piano lessons (a couple houses up) and this cat was at our front door. Wes was trying to come in the house and the cat was right there with him, rubbing up against his legs and wanting to come in too. Luckily Wes didn't let it in. Brooke saw the cat at the door and started screaming and freaking out wanting to go and pet it, but I don't know where it came from and didn't want the kids to play with it. Wes went back out and watched it in our garage, laying on the steps and under the car. He tried to give it some water (without me knowing). Then he followed it into the back yard and he kept telling the cat, "I'm sorry kitty, we don't have any food for you." Then Wes went to school.
Meanwhile, Dave went out to organize his work car and was out there for a while, came in and sanitized his hands. I asked him why he sanitized and he said he was playing with the cat. GROSS!
Maybe that is why Dave finally decided that a pet might not be so bad after all. He noticed how much his kids love animals. It was his idea to go to the shelter, so we went.
On the way there, I told Wes that we were going to this place to look around, but we were not going to buy anything. He didn't know where we were going. When we walked in the door, both kids started freaking out with excitement. There were cats, dogs, lizards, oh my! They were a bit overwhelmed, I think. Brooke ran back and forth between the dogs and cats, and then would get down on the floor like a dog and put her nose to the ground, totally grossing me out. We looked at all the puppies and then the older dogs. Finally we took a yellow lab into the private room to see how the dog interacted. It was a really good dog. He wouldn't jump on Brooke, didn't bark. He was excited, but really a good dog, from what we could tell. Dave was ready to take him home, but I wasn't. I want to do more research and get the back yard ready.
We will see what happens. There are monthly costs for an alarm and a dog. Lots to think about, I want something for piece of mind.
Thursday, September 13, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
To bad we gave away Rudy, the farting dog, you could have had him! Beware of shedding dogs (ie. Labs).
Good Luck! As you know our cat has been great but he is no replacement for an alarm, infact he would want to go with the intruder after he finished what he came for. For some reason, a dog does give you that peace of mind. Glad Dave's on board becasue when we brought that dog home from the shelter for a five day trial I was on my own (because it was all my idea) and Mark was laughing all the way back (returning the dog) to the shelter say I told you so. I hope it works out for you!
Hey, sorry I missed your phone call we just got back form camping. I'll call you when things settle down here:D
Post a Comment